Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Welcoming the season...

A week or so ago I was heading out to the shops when I noticed some old fence palings on the side of the road. SCORE!

I grabbed a bundle, all the while thinking of snakes and spiders... and wondering if my mobile was in the car in case something grabbed me! Who would have thought my new found interest in scrounging would require such tough stuff! So far they've been made into a stenciled date sign for my gallery wall and some signs for Emma's upcoming birthday. With the bulk of the remaining ones I made this sign...

 photo welcomingtheseason_zps32a3c3f8.jpg

This was a great project for me right now - I only used things I could find garage (nails, paint etc) - so it was great on the budget... FREE! I've seen so many gorgeous examples on other blogs and wanted to try one out too.

I don't have a stencil, or even a printer at the moment, so I just drew and painted it free hand - it's not meant to be perfect! I find the best way to do something like this is to type it into a word or publisher document, in the font that I want, then just draw it on in pencil, then paint. Look at the screen, look at the boards, look at the screen, look at the boards... you get the idea!

I wasn't sure about the black to start with, but it's grown on me :) I mostly use silver for Christmas decorating, so this fits in perfectly. So it's the first of my Christmas decorating... I know it's November, but who's checking!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm sharing at Primp Your Stuff and aka design!


2 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic, nice one Catherine!
    Christmas is only 4 weeks away now...I'd better get myself into gear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty! - doing words free-hand is stressful, isn't it?!

    Leanne @ Because (I think) I Can

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...