Monday, January 16, 2012

Baby Shower Gift

One of our truly lovely friends MJ is due to have her first baby at the end of January. I'm so excited for her and Brett (and secretly looking forward to cuddling a new baby too!) To celebrate, MJ's parents recently held a baby shower with all their family and friends. Of course a handmade gift was in order... can you tell we already know she's having a boy???

 photo babyshower_zps4f9d4c1b.jpg

This was my first ever go at a 'quilt' - pickup trucks on one side and some vintage chenille on the other! It's bassinette size - I always found I needed small blankets / mats to take with me when we were out and about, so I thought this would be a good size. (BTW - can you see the gorgeous man in the background? Just before Christmas I picked up a wing back chair from freecycle... for free!!!)

 photo babyshower2_zpsad78c7d3.jpg

The taggy toy is similar to one I had made for Harry and he loved it in those early days. Just as the books recommend I slept with it for a few days before he arrived, and then put it in his cot when he went to sleep. More of that vintage chenille here, along with ribbons of different colour and texture.

 photo babyshower3_zps639f1a23.jpg

I also offered to bring a plate, and it was suggested I bring something that could go with coffee and that people could nibble on in the afternoon. So I picked up the ingredients for Rocky Road that morning and made up a batch.

 photo babyshower4_zps401ffb76.jpg

In case you're wondering, my Rocky Road is really easy and yummy too. Here's my recipe...

  • 1 x block of 250g chocolate. For me, the key is not to use cooking chocolate or melts, but a plain block of chocolate.
  • 1 x packet of marshmallows, cut in half.
  • 1 x Turkish delight, cut into small squares.
  • 3/4 cup of walnuts, cut into small pieces.

Melt the chocolate over hot water. Place marshmallows, nuts and Turkish delight into a large bowl and then stir in your melted chocolate. Pour onto a tray and flatten to your desired thickness, then into the fridge to set.

I have one more baby present in the works for the day he arrives. Another book + toy gift like these, though I'm trying a different animal this time. Will post when he's finished!

And a home goals update - have purchased a mirror for the hallway. Just needs a lick of paint and it's ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...